SEO tips for Growing Your Business.
1) Keep it Fresh – Keep your website updated with new content related to your business. The search engines rank sites higher that are actively updated. If your site stays stagnant without having content updates for long periods of time, they tend to drop off the rankings. Make sure you add significant content on a regular basis. Additionally, new content that is well written with SEO in mind will be a magnet for the search engine bots.
2) A Few Good Links Outweigh The Many Bad Links – You must remember to acquire high quality links back to your site. A few high PR (page rank) links will far outweigh a number of low quality backlinks so make sure you’re linking to sites that are worth it and relevant to your site content. You can also ask those sites if they are willing to link back to you in return in order to raise the number of backlinks you to your website. You need to treat the link building as an ongoing process so spend a few minutes each day on your backlink campaign.
3) Title Tags FTW – Usage of high quality keywords to improve your website hits is also very important for SEO. Putting keywords in places like the title tag and header tags, especially H1 tag, allows your website to show up on more searches. Your title tag is the number one piece of content for ranking well in the search engine results pages. Keep your title about 70 characters long and do not start off with your company name. Never use the same title for two web pages as each title should be unique as to not confuse the web spiders that crawl your site.
4) Remember the Captions – Make sure you add captions for any images placed on your website. The captions should be keyword rich so that the web crawlers will be able to spot them when they are searching your site. The keywords can be used within phrases or by themselves.
Do not create a site with search engine optimization as your primary goal. Build your site with your targeted visitor in mind.
5) Blog it Up! – Each page on your site offers an opportunity for a customer or a search engine bot to find your website and scan your web pages. Adding a company blog to your website opens up a ton of new opportunities for your site to be found. Your blog can discuss very small aspects of your business that will appeal to your target audience.
6) Long Tail Keywords…are Key to Success – Do not be too general with your keywords. These are what will bring readers to your site, so you want to be specific. If you are talking about backpacking through Tahiti, you do not want your keyword to be “travel.” There are thousands of travel sites, and yours will definitely not get the attention it deserves.
7) Research Your Targeted Keywords – A good search engine optimization tool to use is Google’s keyword tool. The Google keyword tool will show you how many people search globally or locally for the keywords you are targeting. It also lets you check the popularity of keywords searches on the internet. Having popular keywords is important to optimizing your search engine results. Don’t forget to target “long tail keywords” (ex: “Chicago website design company” rather than “web design”) as trying to rank for short keywords that are popular will lead to frustration.
Hope you enjoyed our quick tips on search engine optimization to get you started with your SEO process. If you are looking for an affordable Chicago SEO company, please contact Operation Technology for a free consultation.
By Brad Fogel